Saturday, June 28, 2008

Day Four: Kickin it into Gear

As a general rule I don't do anything I don't want to do. Well... I may do it but usually not all that well. As a friend once described it, I'm "ambitiously lazy." Everything I do must have some ultimate greater end, otherwise whats the point? I wont be trapped into a life of expectations and pre-determination. Therefore one of the most important questions I had to ask myself when I began this process was "Am I doing this because I want to, or because it is expected of me?" Ever since I started shooting people have placed expectations on my shooting and the path it was supposed to take. I had to make sure that I wasn't trying to make the Olympics simply to avoid disappointing everyone around me. I had to want it more than anything. It had to consume me. As soon as I decided that I was all in... it was time to kick it into gear.
This morning I felt a ton better than the two days prior. I didn't get as much sleep as I should have but felt oddly refreshed and energized. haha I wont argue with it. I was able to get a decent number of shots... my arrow count is steadily increasing. I hope to get it back up to my old level of 144 arrows per day within a few weeks. I do have to admit that my muscles are still really sore from the workout last night. lol
As for my form itself, I have not lost all that much of it. It's just rusty. It is surprising though how much month or so off can really screw with your "feel" though. Its like a baseball player who takes a while off from batting. His swing will most likely still be rather technically sound, but for the first few practices it just wont feel quite right. Its just being mentally comfortable... and it returns quickly with consistent practice.
Another thing Ive noticed so far is that my fingers are really staring to hurt after the 50th or so arrow. This always happens after a long layoff and stays until callouses redevelop. Still it is really freakin irritating.
Have a wonderful day everyone!
Btw... thank you to the person who left me my first comment yesterday. :) It made my night!

No comments: