Thursday, June 26, 2008

Day Two: Recollections and Respite

So I woke up this morning feeling pretty sick... not sure quite why because I got plenty of sleep and everything last night. I managed some stretching and a little band work before i decided that further work would only make things worse. So I thanked my lucky stars and went back to bed.
Like most people I stumbled upon my talents quite by accident. I didn't wake up one day and decide to shoot archery. You dont pick your passions, your passions pick you. I was in Boy Scouts back in 2000 and the troop went to a local range in Phoenix to qualify for our archery merit badges. I wasn't particularly good or anything, just as bad as everyone else actually. And there certainly wasn't that "flash of destiny" or whatever it is that you always here about. I kinda thought it was fun... like everyone thinks the first time they try it. You pull the string back... let it go... and watch as your arrow bounces off the ceiling... whats not fun about that? haha So when Mom asked me a few weeks later if I'd like to try it again I jumped at the chance.
That was pretty much the beginning of the phase of my Archery that I like to call the "Treading Water" period. I would shoot league on Friday nights at a local indoor range called Fiesta Archery and pretend I was improving. In fact, if I had only known the depths of the bad habits I was cementing wouldn't have shot at all. It was during this time, that I picked up things like "Target Panic," "Form Collapse," and the wonderful art of "choking." I was a young archer with alot of natural talent and zero guidance or direction. This is why America pretty much sucks in Olympic Archery when compared to the rest of the world. While in Korea your not even allowed to touch a bow until you have months of band work under your belt, here we throw our kids out there and expect the proper form will come in time. Its considered "too boring" in America to train our young athletes with any sort of discipline. We are so caught up in instant gratification, its killing any chance we have to compete.
Ill continue this tomorrow... bedtime. Night everyone! :)

No comments: